Our Compliance and Monitoring team helps to ensure the protection and enhancement of Tauranga City’s natural and built environments. We achieve this through education, monitoring and enforcement of resource consent conditions, and compliance with the City Plan and Resource Management Act (RMA).
The team functions include:
- monitoring and enforcing land-use resource consent conditions
- monitoring compliance with the requirements of the Tauranga City Plan
- monitoring compliance with the Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA)
- responding to and investigating City Plan related complaints
- educating site owners and the general public as to their obligations under the City Plan and/or resource consent
Tauranga City Plan
Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA)
When a resource consent is granted it may be subject to certain conditions. These can be wide ranging and cover many aspects. Council’s environmental monitoring officers check that all of the conditions outlined in resource consents are complied with throughout the development and for the life of the consent. Some typical conditions relate to:
- tree protection
- surveyors' certificates (building height and location)
- car parking
- landscaping requirements
- hours of operation
There is a range of non-compliances. Some of the more common issues include:
- damage and/or removal of protected trees
- signage on private land
- yard infringements
- over height buildings
- non-complying home-based businesses
Signage provisions, overshadowing, yard, building height and home-based business rules are found in the City Plan and are dependent on the Zone in which the subject site is located.
Contact our environmental monitoring officers
Often non-compliance is a result of a lack of awareness of the requirements of the Plan. Council staff are available to help you achieve compliance. They can also suggest alternatives to fix the non-compliance issues.
Check this map to find and contact the environmental monitoring officer for your area
Depending on the nature of non-compliance and the circumstances in which it occurred, Council may need to take enforcement action.
Enforcement for non-compliant activities
We have a Duty Planner available to advise on how to comply with different parts of the City Plan. Please call the Council on 07 577 7000.
Last Reviewed: 19/04/2017