Contact Us   /   Council A-Z   /   Civil Defence

How do I apply for a Resource Consent?

Once you have worked out that you need a resource consent, you will need to gather together the relevant information.  While you may be able to prepare an application yourself, it is often advisable to talk to a planning consultant.  They can advise on the merits of your activity and if appropriate prepare your resource consent application on your behalf.

 Resource consents

1. Use our pre-application service

Organising a pre-application meeting can help both you and the Council. Tauranga City Council provides an initial free pre-application service. We will meet with you before you submit your application to help ensure your application contains all the necessary information.

Your pre-application meeting may address the following things.

  • Confirm whether you will actually need a resource consent by determining the activity status under the Tauranga City Plan. 
  • Provide the relevant assessment criteria of the Tauranga City Plan that need to be addressed by you in your application. 
  • Determine the fee required to lodge the application. 
  • Identify the minimum information requirements to accompany the application. 
  • Explain the general resource consent process and the statutory timeframes for processing the application. 
  • Provide initial discussion about people and properties which may be affected by your proposal. 

You will need to bring with you: 

  • preliminary site plans, floor plan and elevation drawings for the activity 
    site photos 
  • the address of the land where the proposed activity is to occur, and 
  • a clear idea of what you are proposing. 

You can book a meeting.
You can also speak to the Duty Planner for information about rules which may affect your proposed activity.

Book a meeting (95kb pdf)

2. Get an application form

You can get an application form from our forms page or from Council’s customer service centre.

Our application forms set out the required information, including: 

  • relevant development plans
  • a recent Certificate of Title
  • an Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE)

An assessment of environmental effects (AEE) is a key component of a resource consent application.  The requirements for an AEE are set out in the Resource Management Act 1991 under Schedule 4. 

Basically, an AEE is an assessment of the environment effects created by your proposal, in particular the adverse effects created by the non-compliances.  As each resource consent is different, AEE’s vary in size depending on the number, scale and type of non-compliance/s in your proposal.

Forms and checklists

Schedule 4

3.  Get specialist reports if needed

Depending on your application, you may need to obtain a report from a professional. For example, if landscaping is an issue for your project, you may need to engage a landscape architect to prepare a report describing the effects of your project in landscape terms. Or, if you are in a flood zone, you may need to engage with a civil engineer.

The more detailed and accurate the information you provide us, the more quickly and efficiently we will be able to process your application.

4.  Lodge your application with us

Once your application is complete, lodge it with us for processing. You can do this over the front counter at the customer service centre.

If your application has insufficient information it will be returned to you advising what additional information is required. If your application is accepted you will be advised by an acknowledgement letter.

5.  Site Visits

Staff only carry out site visits once an application has been formally lodged.

6.  Where do I go for help?

To find professional advice, you can try:

If you need help, please contact the Duty Planner at Tauranga City Council on 07 577 7000.

Last Reviewed: 15/03/2017