Contact Us   /   Council A-Z   /   Civil Defence

Subdivision Consents

If you want to carry out a subdivision you need to obtain resource consent.  The City Plan contains rules about subdivision.

Subdivision can include:

  • boundary adjustments
  • creation of two or more new freehold titles
  • amendments to cross-lease, unit title and company lease plans to show additions, alterations and accessory buildings
  • conversion of cross-lease to freehold title, or
  • creation of a unit title development, for example, a block of flats

The ability to subdivide your land into freehold allotments is controlled by a number of factors including:

  • ability to provide services (power, water, sewer etc) to the site 
  • ability to provide safe access to the site and appropriate car parking 
  • topographical constraints 
  • built form already on the site 
  • the size of your site, and 
  • ability to comply with Permitted Activity rules contained in the City Plan. 

What is the minimum site size for subdivision?

This varies depending on what zone the property is situated in. You can find the zoning for your property by checking the planning maps. 

By way of example, the maximum density for a site in the Suburban Residential Zone is one independent dwelling unit per 325m2 of nett site area. Nett site area  is the area of the site less any of that area solely for the purpose of providing access.  If you cannot work out if you have enough land area to subdivide, you may need to speak to a licensed cadastral surveyor to work out what the nett site area is.  However, you will also have to check the requirements of the Suburban Residential Zone Permitted Activity rules.

For subdivision in other zones, see Chapter 12 – Subdivision  for the requirements, and check the requirements for that zone.

Planning maps

Nett site area

Suburban Residential Zone Permitted Activity rules

Chapter 12 – Subdivision

The Subdivision Process

Your application will include all the requirements of a land use resource consent application but will also require a scheme plan to be drawn up by a licensed cadastral surveyor.

An approved subdivision consent will normally have a number of conditions which may require other approvals, for example, building consent and engineering approvals.

To apply for subdivision consent, please visit our forms page to download forms required to accompany your application.

There are also additional steps for subdivision consent under Sections 223 and 224 of the RMA that are required to be met before your site is subdivided.

Forms and checklists

Engineering Compliance

Councils Engineering Compliance requirements can be found in the Infrastructure Development Code (IDC).

Infrastructure Development Code

Sections 223 approval and 224 approval

Obtaining your section 223 certification from Council demonstrates that your survey plan is in accordance with your approved resource consent.

Section 224 certification from Council confirms that all of the conditions of your subdivision consent have been met. This approval enables Land Information New Zealand to issue new titles.

You need to make a separate application to Council for your sections 223 and 224 certifications.  These processes can be done separately or together.

Development Contributions are payable at section 224 stage.

Development Contributions

Subdivision consent timeframes

The flow chart shows timeframes for implementation of your subdivision consent.

flow chart

Subdivision costs 

There are a number of costs involved in any subdivision process, including:

  • surveyors’ costs (call a surveyor to find out what these are likely to be) 
  • Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) costs (the surveyor should also be able to advise these) 
  • Council deposit fees for the application, 223 and 224 process  – note these are subject to extra charges for time and cost where an application is more lengthy to process. Deposit fees are non-refundable 
  • development contributions
  • costs involved in providing services (such as water, sewer, stormwater, electricity, telecommunications) to each allotment.

223 and 224 process

Development contributions

Last Reviewed: 12/01/2017