Contact Us   /   Council A-Z   /   Civil Defence

Tangata Whenua

When do you need to address cultural heritage?

The list below gives examples of when your activity may affect cultural heritage. If any of the following apply to your activity or development area, you may need to address cultural heritage in your resource consent application.

  • if your activity affects a Registered or scheduled historic place, historic area, wähi tapu or wähi tapu area
  • if your activity affects an archaeological site
  • if your activity affects a place of significance to tängata whenua
  • if your development area has been occupied by people for more than 100 years 
  • if your development area is located within 2km of the coast 
  • if your consent involves any earthworks or ground disturbance 
  • if you are applying for a consent to subdivide your property

Who can help you identify a cultural heritage site or area?

Often a simple check for City Plan layers and/or the archaeological layer in Mapi will help you find out if there is a cultural heritage site or area on the site you are querying.

Depending on the nature of your activity, you may also need to consult with the following agencies to adequately address effects on cultural heritage:

Other agencies and sources of information include historical societies and heritage protection authorities (under the RMA).

You can also engage a qualified heritage professional to undertake this for you. Ask the above listed agencies for information on heritage professionals.

Consultation with Tangata Whenua

Council has a policy relating to consultation with Tangata Whenua when processing resource consents which helps identify a best practice process to ensure legislative requirements on consultation are met. 

Consultation with Tangata Whenua on Resource Consent Application
Iwi/Hapu contacts

Papakainga Housing

If you live on land with Maori title or are interested in establishing papakainga housing then you will be interested in the following documents:

If you have any further questions relating to these topics call the Takawaenga Maori Unit on 07 577 7000.

Last Reviewed: 21/03/2017