If you want to operate gaming or gambling machines in Tauranga, you will need a Class 4 or TAB Venue Consent.
The consent applies to:
- new gambling venues
- existing venues that want to increase the number of gaming machines at that venue
- existing gambling venues that began operations any time after 17 October 2001
Applications must be made by a society or trust and cannot be made by an individual. The consent is specific to the venue.
Apply for a gaming licence
Once you have received a gambling consent from Council you must also apply for any gaming licences required by the Department of Internal Affairs.
Tauranga City has a Gambling Venues Policy. One of the aims of the policy is to manage the number of gaming machines in the City, with a level of one machine per 220 people established as the benchmark.
Policy objectives are:
- to control the growth of gambling
- to minimise the harm to the community caused by Class 4 gambling
- to allow people who wish to participate in Class 4 gambling to continue to do so
- to define the parameters for when consent for a Class 4 or TAB venue will be granted.
Last Reviewed: 15/05/2018