If you have a great community event in mind and need some financial support to realise your idea, our community event fund may be able to assist.
The fund provides one-off, limited financial support to community-focused and/or community-led events that deliver good social outcomes for our diverse community and encourage civic pride.
In order to be eligible to receive financial support from the community event fund, your event must:
- provide free or low cost (i.e. $10 or under) admission to the public
- genuinely focus on engaging local communities and neighbourhoods, encourage participation across diverse communities and/or be community-led
- be run by a not-for-profit organisation.
- Occur outside of Tauranga City boundaries. Please follow this link here for a map of the boundaries.
In addition, we will prioritise funding for events that strongly align with our event funding values and priorities. We suggest that you review these before submitting an application as all events will be measured against these overarching principles. Please note that your event does not need to deliver on all of our funding priorities in order to be considered for support.
Funding will not be granted to events that:
- don’t champion our event funding values or priorities
- require funding on an ongoing basis for business-as-usual operations
- are recurring events
- have been completed or started prior to the funding being allocated
- are primarily religious, political or have a primary fundraising purpose
- are for markets, raffles or prize money
- support general salaries, rents or other overhead costs except as a proportion of the total event costs
- require debt servicing assistance or have outstanding debt with Tauranga City Council
- are private functions, lunches, dinners etc.
- are for research, feasibility studies or evaluations
- have breached previous funding agreements with Tauranga City Council, including post-event reporting requirements and where no commitment has been made to rectify this.
- Occur outside of Tauranga City boundaries.
How to apply
The community event fund is a contestable fund of $50,000 (for the period 1 August 2018 to 30 June 2019), with a maximum grant of $5,000 per application. The level of funding for the majority of applications is likely to be approximately $2500.
Applications will be considered on a monthly basis up to 31 May 2019, for the 2018/2019 financial year. Applications received up to and including the 20th of the month will be evaluated by an internal panel and funding decisions communicated to applicants by the 14th of the following month. Any applications received between the 21st and the end of a month will be deferred to the next month for consideration.
There is no limit to the amount of times an event organiser can apply to fund a new event. If you have already received funding from council for an event, you must submit a post-event report before another application will be considered.
We encourage event organisers to submit their applications early to provide the best possible chance at receiving funding. When the community event fund allocation is exhausted this webpage will be updated accordingly.
If you believe that your event is a great fit with this fund and embodies our event funding values and priorities, we want to hear from you.
Please download the word application form and save it to a local file (e.g. your desktop) before you fill it in.
Community event fund application form (723kb docx)
Make sure you have all relevant event details including your event budget readily available to upload.
Submit your application online
If your application is successful, we will email you a signed copy of your community event fund application for you to execute and return to us. You will also receive an outline of the deliverables associated with our financial support of your event.
If your event is held on public open space, you will likely be required to work with our event facilitation team for an event approval.
If your application is unsuccessful you will be advised of the outcome, along with reasoning why this decision was made.
Last Reviewed: 11/12/2018