The legacy event fund provides ongoing financial support to events that have proven longevity and are important to the cultural and social identity of Tauranga.
This fund is committed to supporting events that create and cultivate a strong sense of community pride and actively engage with residents and visitors, to showcase Tauranga as an exciting place to live, work, play and visit.
To be eligible to receive financial support from the legacy event fund, your event must:
- have been operating in Tauranga for 12 years or more as at 1 November 2018, either continuously or cumulatively
- strongly align with our event funding values and priorities. Please note that our funding decisions are heavily weighted towards these principles
- create leverage and legacy opportunities for the city
- deliver tangible cultural and social benefits to Tauranga
- clearly demonstrate how it showcases Tauranga as an exciting place to live, work, play and visit.
Additional eligibility considerations:
- Events that occur during the off-peak seasons of April to October are more likely to receive funding from the legacy event fund.
- Events that are predominantly commercial in nature are less likely to receive support from the legacy event fund. When applying for funding, applicants will be required to submit a high-level event budget to demonstrate their projected financial position.
- Events and/or organisations that already receive substantial ongoing support from Tauranga City Council, financial or otherwise, are less likely to receive support from the legacy event fund.
Funding will not be granted to events that:
- have been operating in Tauranga for less than 12 years as at 1 November 2018
- don’t champion our funding values or priorities
- are primarily religious, political or have a primary fundraising purpose
- are primarily for research, feasibility studies or evaluation purposes
- require debt servicing assistance or have outstanding debt with Tauranga City Council
- are private functions, lunches or dinners
- have breached previous funding agreements with Tauranga City Council, including post-event reporting criteria, and where no commitment has been made to rectify this.
- Occur outside of Tauranga City boundaries.
Funding terms and conditions
The legacy event fund is a contestable fund of $300,000 (for the year starting 1 July 2019), with a maximum grant of $50,000 per application. There is no minimum funding limit.
Successful applicants will receive a three-year funding commitment, or in exceptional circumstances, a maximum five-year commitment. At the end of the funding commitment the organisation will need to reapply for legacy event fund support.
The organisation responsible for the event must be a legal entity such as a trust, company or incorporated society, and must be able to provide evidence of this status.
When the legacy event fund allocation is exhausted, this webpage will be updated accordingly.
How to apply
There is a two-stage application process:
Stage 1: Complete a legacy event fund application form (see below) and submit it online. Your application will then go through a screening process to ensure it meets the funding criteria. If eligible it will progress to stage 2.
Stage 2: Successful stage 1 applicants will deliver a maximum 10-minute presentation in support of their application, to a five-member decision making panel. A maximum of two event representatives can participate in this presentation.
||Stage 1 decisions released*
||Stage 2 decisions released
|by 31 January 2019
||by 15 February 2019
||early March 2019
||late March 2019
|between 1 February to 30 June 2019
||by 19 July 2019
||early September 2019
||late September 2019
*Stage 1 decisions will advise applicants whether or not they are eligible to progress to stage 2.
If you believe that your event is a great fit with the legacy event fund, we want to hear from you.
Please download the application form and save it to a local file (e.g. your desktop) before you fill it in.
Legacy event fund form (122kb docx)
Make sure you have all relevant event details including your event budget readily available to upload.
Submit your application online
If you are an eligible applicant, we will invite you to present to a five-member decision making panel in support of your application.
If your application is successful, you will be required to enter into a contractual relationship with us to formalise our funding support and associated event deliverables.
If your event is held on public open space, you will likely be required to work with our event facilitation team for an event approval.
If your application is unsuccessful you will be advised of the outcome, along with reasoning as to why the decision was made.
Last Reviewed: 11/12/2018