We love our city and want to preserve and take care of it. Environmental sustainability is increasingly important to venue operations, attendees and sponsors, and should be incorporated into your event planning.
We encourage you to contact our event facilitation team in the first instance to discuss the event’s feasibility and to offer advice and guidance on the next steps to take
The waste management and minimisation bylaw requires event organisers to complete a waste minimisation questionnaire if their event is being held on on Council-owned public open space.
It is recommended that event organisers who run events on private land also complete this questionnaire to ensure their event follows best practice.
Waste minimisation questionnaire
The questionnaire assists event organisers to identify:
- Types of waste that will be generated at the event
- How waste can be reduced, reused, recycled or composted
- The service providers that will be used to provide and service bins
- Existing facilities onsite
- Proposed bin systems to be used (e.g. rubbish, recycling, composting)
- Whether volunteers will be used to man waste stations
- Who the main stakeholders are (e.g. vendors, attendees, venue manager etc)
- How events will communicate waste management to stakeholders
- Details about removing litter from the event and surrounding areas after the event.
Following the submission of your waste minimisation questionnaire, we'll advise whether any further information is required to ensure that event organisers are doing all that they can to minimise waste and divert waste from landfill.
Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw 2012 (58kb pdf)
Vendor packaging guidelines
As an event organiser you can ensure that you are doing all you can to divert waste from landfill, by working with your caterers and food vendors to design a waste stream that uses compostable and recyclable food packaging.
We've developed vendor packaging guidelines that outline what packaging is accepted at the local composting and recycling facilities.
Vendor packaging guidelines (1mb pdf)
Waste minimisation signs
Signs are available for download and can be used at schools, businesses and events.
View all waste minimisation signs
Last Reviewed: 18/10/2018