Contact Us   /   Council A-Z   /   Civil Defence

Pest Control


There’s a swarm on my property – what should I do?

Approach the swarm with caution. Check that they are honey bees, which are ORANGE and black, and not wasps, which are YELLOW and black. If not sure you may find photo comparisons on the internet.

Contact a local beekeeper. They can try to collect the swarm for you, contact to locate beekeepers in your area. The beekeeper will want to know:

  • When the swarm arrived?
  • How big it is – soccer ball size?
  • Where it is – on a fence, up a tree etc.?

If the nest is inside a building they may refer you to a pest control firm.

If you have a wasp nest on your property, contact a pest control firm for advice.

Ask your neighbours to check their property for wasp nests at the same time. If they find any, ask them to deal with the wasps straight away.

If the wasp nest is on City or District Council land, contact the relevant council office and ask for the nest to be controlled as soon as possible. Be sure to provide accurate details of exactly where the nest is when you lodge a Service Request.

Last Reviewed: 02/11/2016

Rats / Rodents

If you have rats or other rodents on your own property, it is your responsibility to remove them.  Most hardware stores have products available to eradicate rats and rodents.  Please contact a pest control firm for more advice.

You should contact Council on 07 577 7000 if:

  • rats are coming on to your property because of rubbish on a neighbouring property
  • you see rats/rodents at a food premise
  • you think there is a rat/rodent problem on a public reserve

Last Reviewed: 15/03/2017