Contact Us   /   Council A-Z   /   Civil Defence

Relocating a Dwelling

Removing a dwelling

You may need a building consent to remove a dwelling depending on number of levels. Please contact the Council to confirm prior to removal.  The cost of this consent includes a bond, which will be refunded providing:

  • there is no damage to underground services
  • there is no damage to the kerb/channel (where it exists)
  • there is no damage to any other Council asset (water meter, culvert, hydrant, etc)

You will need to complete an application form and pay the fee at the time of lodgement.  View the fees and charges relating to a building consent.

Fees and charges 

Relocating a dwelling

You will need a separate building consent to relocate the dwelling to the proposed new site. Ordinarily this consent is for foundations and services only.  However, if you wish to add to the existing dwelling (eg: another room, a new conservatory, an additional storey, etc) then this work could be included on this application.

Resource consent

You will need to apply for a resource consent to relocate the dwelling onto a site if you cannot comply with the bulk and location requirements of the zone in which the property is located.

View the City Plan to see what zone your site is located in and what rules will apply.

Resource consent

City Plan 

Last Reviewed: 28/03/2017