Which is the oldest tree in Tauranga?
It is believed to be the Titoki at Otumoetai Pa and the Pohutukawa at Pitau Road Reserve, both are of a similar age- approx 300 years old.
Which is the tallest tree in Tauranga?
This has not been identified; however Yatton Park has some trees that were planted during 1865 – 1877 by Mr John Alfred Chadwick.
Chadwick made the initial purchase of 400 acres shortly after the battle of Gate Pa. On one section, he built his house and planted a number of exotic trees - 16 of which are now the largest of their kind in the North Island.
Norfolk Pine (Araucaria heterophylla) 51 m
Queensland Kauri (Agathis robusta) 34 m
More information on Yatton Park.
Some other areas that have historic trees are:
Maungawhare has 4 large Norfolk pines planted between 1884 and 1890; the northernmost of these was once the tallest in the Bay of Plenty until it was struck by lightning in 1978
The Maungawhare parkland area bounds the homestead, which remains private. Public entry is to the parkland only and is accessed from Parkvale Road, Otumoetai.
The Elms, Tauranga's historic former Mission Station was founded in 1835.
Reverend Brown purchased 17 acres of the original CMS Station in 1873 as a family home, naming it The Elms, after the over 50 elm trees growing on the site at the time.
Brown was known for his interest in gardening: he planted the oak tree, the Norfolk pines which are the most visible markers of the mission station, as well as ornamentals such as roses.
More information on the Elms.
For more information on trees try “Great Trees of New Zealand” – by S.W. Burstall 1984
(Tauranga Library has a copy)
Last Reviewed: 26/10/2016