We love our City, and we want to preserve and take care of it. Environmental sustainability is increasingly important to venue operations, attendees and sponsors, and should be incorporated into your event planning. We encourage you to contact our Event Facilitation team in the first instance to discuss the event’s feasibility and to offer advice and guidance on the next steps to take
Under Clause 4 of the Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw 2012 (58kb pdf), Event Organisers who are sponsored by Council or who are undertaking events on Council owned, administered or controlled land or roads are required to consider the waste implications of their event and prepare a Waste Minimisation Questionnaire (745kb pdf). It is recommended that Event Organisers who run events on private land also complete this questionnaire to ensure their event follows best practice.
The Waste Minimisation Questionnaire assists Event Organisers to identify:
- The types of waste that will be generated at the event.
- How waste can be reduced, reused, recycled or composted.
- The service providers that will be used to provide and service bins.
- The existing facilities onsite.
- The proposed bin systems to be used (e.g. rubbish, recycling, composting).
- Whether volunteers will be used to man waste stations.
- Who the main stakeholders are (e.g. vendors, attendees, venue manager etc).
- How events will communicate waste management to stakeholders.
- Details about removing litter from the event and surrounding areas after the event.
Following the submission of the Waste Minimisation Questionnaire, Council will determine whether any further information is required to ensure that event organisers are doing all they can to minimise waste and divert waste from landfill.
Waste Minimisation Questionnaire
Waste Minimisation Questionnaire (745kb pdf)
Vendor packaging guidelines
As an event organiser you can ensure that you are doing all you can to divert waste from landfill, by working with your caterers and/or food vendors to design a waste stream that uses compostable and recyclable food packaging.
Council has developed the Vendor Packaging Guidelines (VPG), which outline what packaging is accepted at the local composting and recycling facilities.
Vendor packaging guidelines(1mb pdf)
Further information on events recycling
For further information contact our Event Facilitation team:
Phone: 07 577 7000
Last Reviewed: 11/10/2016