Our compliance and monitoring team helps to ensure the protection and enhancement of our city’s natural and built environments.
We achieve this through education, monitoring and enforcement of resource consent conditions, and compliance with the City Plan and Resource Management Act (RMA).
The team functions include:
- monitoring and enforcing land-use resource consent conditions
- monitoring compliance with the requirements of the Tauranga City Plan
- monitoring compliance with the Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA)
- responding to and investigating City Plan related complaints
- educating site owners and the general public as to their obligations under the City Plan and/or resource consent
When a resource consent is granted it may be subject to certain conditions. These can be wide ranging and cover many aspects. Council’s environmental monitoring officers check that all of the conditions outlined in resource consents are complied with throughout the development and for the life of the consent. Some typical conditions relate to:
- tree protection
- surveyors' certificates (building height and location)
- car parking
- landscaping requirements
- hours of operation
There is a range of non-compliances. Some of the more common issues include:
- damage and/or removal of protected trees
- signage on private land
- yard infringements
- over height buildings
- non-complying home-based businesses
Signage provisions, overshadowing, yard, building height and home-based business rules are found in the City Plan and are dependent on the Zone in which the subject site is located.
Contact our environmental monitoring officers
Often non-compliance is a result of a lack of awareness of the requirements of the Plan. Our staff are available to help you achieve compliance, they can also suggest alternatives to fix the non-compliance issues. Select your area from the list below to send an email to the environmental monitoring officers looks after your area.
Otumoetai - Pyes Pa Ward
Mount Maunganui - Papamoa Ward
Te Papa - Welcome Bay Ward
Call Council to talk to our duty planner, who is available to advise on compliance with the City Plan.
Last Reviewed: 26/06/2017