Contact Us   /   Council A-Z   /   Civil Defence


Local Alcohol Policy

The Tauranga and Western Bay of Plenty Alcohol Policy (LAP) was adopted on 12 May 2015 and came into force on the 16 November 2015

Local Alcohol Policy (560kb pdf)

The LAP restricts the hours during which liquor may be sold.

Licensed Hours  for on-licences

The maximum trading hours are 9am to 1am the following day (excluding those premises in the Tauranga City Centre (defined in the map on the last page of the LAP).

If your current licence permits alcohol to be sold prior to 9:00am and/or after 1:00am, as from 12.00am on 16 November 2015 you will no longer be permitted to do so.  Cafes and restaurants which open prior to 9:00am will not be permitted to sell and supply alcohol before 9:00am.

On licences within the Tauranga City Centre will be permitted to sell alcohol from 9:00am until 3:00am the following day. Cafes and restaurants which open prior to 9:00am will not be permitted to sell and supply alcohol before 9.00am.

Licensed Hours for off licences

The maximum hours during which alcohol may be sold or supplied from an off licence is from  7:00am until 10:00pm.

One Way Door

This means that restaurants, bars, taverns, pubs, and nightclubs in the Tauranga City Centre which have trading hours until 3:00am are restricted from allowing people to enter the premises from 2am until closing time at 3am.

The Ministry of Justice

Alcohol Licensing Law changes


If you are (or would like to be) a bar owner or operator, a club manager, a restaurateur or the manager of a venue where alcohol will be sold or supplied, you need to be familiar with the laws and regulations that apply to alcohol.  It is your responsibility to ensure that:

  • you have the correct licence(s) 
  • your managers have current certificates 
  • you have a host responsibility policy in place to care for your patrons and staff.

Please contact the Council if you plan on selling or supplying alcohol to the public, as you will need to apply for the correct type of alcohol licence for your activity. You will also need to consider:

  • planning and building issues and any other rules specific to your area, such as grease traps, plumbing and drainage, egress, number of sanitary fixtures, and access for disabled persons.  Building consents will be required for most work undertaken 
  • any health requirements for your kitchen and bar.

In this section learn more about:

Last Reviewed: 28/03/2017