Contact Us   /   Council A-Z   /   Civil Defence

Compliance with RMA & Building Code

To legally operate a licensed premises you must be able to demonstrate compliance with the Resource Management Act (RMA) and the Building Code.  You do this by applying for a Sale of Liquor certificate through Council.

All new liquor licence applications must be accompanied by a Sale of Liquor certificate so this process needs to happen before you can apply for your liquor licence.

The type of Sale of Liquor certificate you get will depend on the type of premises you are applying for:

  • on-licence - Sale and Supply of liquor Certificate
  • off-licence - Sale and Supply of liquor Certificate
  • club-licence - Sale and Supply of liquor Certificate

These certificates are issued where it can be demonstrated that the sale/supply of liquor from the premises fully complies with the City Plan requirements and the Building Code.

Your premises may already comply with RMA/City Plan requirements if it holds a Certificate of Compliance, a Resource Consent or an Existing Use Certificate issued by Council, and there are no changes proposed which would affect that previous approval. If this is the case, you can make application for a Sale and Supply of liquor Certificate.  If not, you will have to apply for one of the following and have it approved before you can apply for your Sale and Supply of liquor Certificate 

Certificate of Compliance

The premises is able to satisfy all permitted activity conditions, including the provision of appropriate on-site car parking contained in the City Plan. Use the application form for all activities or proposals to apply for a Certificate of Compliance.

Resource Consent

If the activity cannot comply with the City Plan requirements, application will have to be made for a resource consent.

Existing Use Certificate

The premise does not meet permitted activity conditions in the City Plan, but was lawfully established under a prior Council planning document. In order to apply for an Existing Use certificate, the applicant must provide proof that the activity met the permitted activity conditions of the Plan at the time the activity was established. Use the application form for all activities or proposals to apply for a Determination of Existing Use.

If you have questions about which sort of planning application you have to make, you can contact the Duty Planner on 07 577 7000. Alternatively, you may wish to book a pre-application meeting to discuss your proposal.

What’s Next?

Once the planning and building requirements have been met, you are ready to apply for your Sale and Supply of Alcohol Certificate . The application form for all activities or proposals provides a checklist of what information you will have to supply. Subject to there being no issues with the information provided by the application, the timeframe for processing such application is 20 working days.

For the Sale of Liquor application deposit fee, or for deposit fees for a Certificate of Compliance/Resource Consent/Existing Use Certificate, refer the Fees and Charges Schedule.

City Plan

Application Form - for all Activities or Proposals (188kb pdf)

Book a Pre-Application Meeting (180kb pdf)

Resource consent

Fees and Charges Schedule

Last Reviewed: 29/06/2016