Contact Us   /   Council A-Z   /   Civil Defence

Temporary Authority

Temporary Authority for Premises

If you purchase a licensed premises and you intend to sell and supply alcohol until a new licence is issued to you or your company an application for a temporary authority will need to be lodged with Council.

A temporary authority can only be applied for if the previous owner's licence remains current. It is not available for club licences or unlicensed premises.

How do I apply for a temporary authority?

Download an application form from our website, visit our customer service centre to pick one up, or call to request an application be posted to you.

Temporary Authority Form 16  (174kb pdf)

The application form outlines all of the information you need to supply with your application.  Fill in the form and bring it to the Council, along with any required information and the processing fee.

Fees and charges

How long will it take?

You must apply for the temporary authority at least 20 working days before the take over date.  It will usually be issued for up to three months or until your own liquor licence is issued (whichever is the sooner).

Temporary authority for a conveyance

There is a different temporary authority application form for a conveyance (ie a boat or a bus).  Please contact the Tauranga District Licensing Agency if you need one.

Last Reviewed: 21/11/2016