Tauranga District Licensing Authority (DLC)
Council’s alcohol licensing functions are specified by the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. The DLC is the group appointed to administer these functions.
Every decision from a hearing of the DLC must be publicly notified.
DLC Committee members
The Tauranga DLC members changed late last year. Meet the new Committee members:
- Mary Dillon – Commissioner and Member
- Murray Clearwater – Commissioner and Member
- Robert Cross – Commissioner and Member
- Shaun Cole – Member
- David Stewart – Member
So what do they do?
The DLC makes the final decisions on applications for:
- new and renewed licences and managers’ certificates;
- temporary authorities and temporary licences;
- variation of licences; and
- special licence applications.
They also decide on enforcement action for special licences. They deal with contested applications (when applications are opposed by licensing inspectors, Police or Medical Officers of Health, or objected to by members of the public) generally through public hearings. So our local DLC basically makes the decisions on much of our work! Welcome to all new Committee members.
You can find more information on the role of DLCs on the Ministry of Justice’s website
Last Reviewed: 05/04/2017