Contact Us   /   Council A-Z   /   Civil Defence



The name of the legal entity receiving the proceeds from the sale of alcohol, e.g. an individual, partnership or company. Consider carefully prior to applying - if your licence is issued in the name of an individual and you later form a company you must re-apply for a new licence in the company name.

Premises name:

The trading name of the business, e.g. "Fluffy Duck Bar and Grill".

Style of licence:

On-licences and off-licences can be of different styles and this will be determined by the nature of the business activity. An on-licence could be, for example, a restaurant style, function style, or tavern style licence. An off-licence could be, for example, a grocery or supermarket style, general style, or mail-order style licence. Different licence conditions will apply according to the style of licence applied for.

Days and hours:

The days and hours you wish to apply for. These should indicate the entire time you intend to operate your business. You are not required to be open during these days and hours but you cannot operate outside them. Again this matter affects the style of licence you should be applying for.  Certain restrictions relating to days and hours apply to different types of businesses and to different areas in which the premises are sited. Refer to the Local Alcohol Policy for further information.

Local Alcohol Policy

Sale of alcohol:

The underlying principle of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol act states that  the sale of alcohol to the public or any member of the public requires a licence.

Designated area:

All licensed areas are either "undesignated" or designated as "restricted" or "supervised". This provides a form of control as to whether minors can be on your premises. Some types of licences must have a designation. Refer to the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act, sections 155 to 164 for a more detailed explanation.

District Licensing Committee (DLC):

The local licensing Agency that administers alcohol licences for the geographical area under the jurisdiction of the local territorial authority. The DLC is an 'agent' of the Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority.

Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority (ARLA):

The governing body, based in Wellington, which reports to the Minister of Justice.  The ARLA is responsible for the control of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act.  All DLC's report to ARLA.  Alcohol Licence applications which have had a suspension or cancellation application lodged against a manager's certificate or premises licence or if an appeal has been lodged against a DLC issued decision, are then determined by ARLA.

Last Reviewed: 11/04/2017