Holiday Season 2016/17 Kerbside Collections
There are no changes to the normal waste collection days over Christmas and New Year for both Tauranga City Council pre-stickered black rubbish bags and private waste collections.
Please ensure that your bags/bins are out for collection before 7.30am on your normal collection day.
Waste Management and Minimisation
Tauranga’s Waste Management and Minimisation Plan
Council’s aim is to ensure sustainable waste management (rubbish collection, disposal and reduction) which protects public health and the environment.
This also means keeping our city clean, tidy and free of litter.
Council’s manages waste collection and disposal, litter collection, closed landfills and waste minimisation programmes:
- Litter collection and closed landfills are funded from rates. Rubbish collection, composting and the Transfer Stations are paid for through user charges or rental of the facilities.
- Waste minimisation programmes are funded through the national waste levy.
Litter, abandoned vehicles and street sweeping
Kerbside collection and Tauranga City Council rubbish bags
Waste minimisation programmes
Our challenge over the next decade is to reduce the waste that has no potential to be reused as a resource (residual waste) to an absolute minimum.
Tauranga City’s Current Waste Statistics
All of Council’s solid waste operations take into consideration the principles of the waste hierarchy: Avoid, Reuse, Recycle, Recovery and Disposal.
Avoidance is the best way to reduce waste. When you are considering purchasing a new item, ask yourself:
- Do you really need to buy that product?
- How will you dispose of the packaging?
- What will you do with the old one?
- Can it be composted?
- Can someone else use it?
Avoid, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle - it all starts with your shopping habits.
Last Reviewed: 19/12/2016