Everybody can play their part to reduce waste in their home by following simple steps:
Shop wisely – reduce your waste in the first place!
- buy in bulk to avoid excess packaging
- buy products with a recycled component or in recyclable packaging
- use a reusable bag when shopping to avoid plastic bags
- buy second-hand to extend a product's useable life
- reuse plastic containers rather than throwing them away
- use a reusable cup for take away coffee or a reusable drink bottle for water. See the Greenlist for more information on purchasing reusable products
Greenlist Sustainable Directory
Compost / worm compost food scraps and garden waste
Tauranga City Council provides worm composting workshops twice a year as well as ongoing support through our Master Vermi-Composters volunteer programme. Follow this link to find out more about our workshops or to register for the next course.
Information on composting, worm composting and workshops
See what can be recycled at the Transfer Station or check the Bay of Plenty Regional Councils Recycling Directory for more information about what can be recycled locally.
Bay of Plenty Regional Council waste and recycling directory
Websites relating to reducing waste in your home
Love Food Hate Waste
Sustainable Living Programme brochure (1.12mb pdf)
Last Reviewed: 19/04/2017