Tauranga Travel Safe is an integrated approach to sustainable road safety outcomes that covers Tauranga city and western bay of plenty. Travel Safe works alongside community at "grassroots level" to lift the level of road safety across all ages from 0 - 80+ years.
Travel Safe have guiding principles:
- listening to communities
- keeping it simple and flexible
- developing community and school ownership at the beginning
- strengthening community action
- developing personal skills
- creating supportive environments
- supporting building healthy public policy.
Schools, parents/caregivers/volunteers and students are the backbone of the partnership and make collective decisions using community developed templates. The programme fosters a culture of ‘valuing the volunteer’ and the students are encouraged to solve the problems themselves.
The Travel Safe programmes are underpinned by robust education, engineering, enforcement and encouragement and are reflective of community needs.
Effective road safety education in communities influences lifelong choices and behaviours.
The Travel Safe Team are:
For more information about Travel Safe programmes please contact the Travel Safe Team on 07 577 700.
Travel Safe Team Leader – Karen Smith
Covers – 26 - 80+ years
(across both Councils)
- Workplace travel plans
- Active transport – cycling and walking/road safety
- Be bright, be safe, be seen – cycling
- CarFit workshops
- Mobility scooter worskshops
Travel Safe Co-ordinator – Angela Joyes
Covers – 0 - 12 years, parents, caregivers - schools/community
(Tauranga/WBOPDC – Waihi Beach)
Travel Safe Co-ordinator – Cindi Feder
Covers – 0 - 12 years including parents/caregivers – schools/community
(Coastal area – Tauranga/WBOPDC)
- Pre-school/Primary/Intermediate school action plans
- Kids on Feet (includes walking school buses)
- Feet first
- Kids Can Ride
- Intermediate school cycling
- Parking behaviour
- Ruben Road Safety Bear
- Travelling Safe – Puppet Vision
- Caterpillar Feet
Travel Safe Co-ordinator – Roslyn Frost
Covers – 13 - 24 years including parents/caregivers –schools/community/workplaces/tertiary
- Secondary school/tertiary action plans
- Young driver
- Active transport/road safety
Last Reviewed: 15/02/2017